The development of acquisition is about more than just reducing the price of purchases. Things that must be taken into account include:
- definition of raw materials and productization and standardization of components
- analysis and classification of the field of suppliers
- long-term goals for the development of supplier relationships and partnerships
- target numbers of suppliers
- skill and resources of the acquisitions department
- transportation and logistics issues
- negotiation tactics with different suppliers on different organization levels
- contract law
Good reliability of delivery must be ensured throughout the development process.
Well-managed acquisition requires a documented acquisition strategy, which includes descriptions of:
- what is the organization’s core area of expertise?
- what do we do ourselves and what do we obtain from a partner?
- what level of partnerships does the company have?
- what kinds of goals are set for the development of partnerships?
If the goal is to decrease purchasing prices by dozens of percent, one must prepare for a systematic development project of acquisition that will take a few years.
Partners: Reijo Törmä (acquisition, production and logistics), Timo Vasankari (ICT and technologies) ja Antti Lehtimäki (comprehensive turn-around management)